It is widely seen that essential tasks and celebrations are usually performed according to an auspicious time or Muhurat. Usually, people consult an astrologer or Pandit Ji to get lucky Muhurat as per the Hindu Panchang, but sometimes it isn't easy to get. Keeping this in mind, Jyotish Shastra or Vedic Astrology, has created the Hora Chakra to know the inauspicious and lucky timings of a particular day.
If you wish to know what is a Hora Muhurat or the best time to undertake essential ventures, then enter the details in our FREE Hora Muhurat Calculator to get your results!
Hora and Hora Muhurat
Now, to answer the question of what is Hora Muhurat, we first need to understand Ahoratra. So, Aho means day, and Ratra means night. When there is no availability of any promising moment or Muhurat for a particular task, the Hora Chakra or Hora Chart is introduced.
Hora Shastra has been considered the foolproof way to succeed in any task.
As per Vedic astrology, Hora denotes parts of the period between one sunrise and the next. Hora is a unit of time. Each Hora is related to some Graha or planet, which gives the Hora its characteristic trait of having a particular effect on events under its MUhurat. Hora is counted from the sunrise of each day. Still, the planet corresponding to the Lagna Hora changes throughout the week. This branch of astrology is specifically essential for predictions related to auspicious times or Muhurats. It is mainly used to find auspicious periods within a day to accomplish some short duration of an event, either religious or otherwise. It is also a great way to determine which part of the day is suitable for what type of work. As Graham's influence keeps changing across the day, so does the appropriate variety of actions that will bring positive results for the one doing it. Even as the sages have talked about the importance of Hora Chakram in the Vedic literature, according to the records, if some event or activity needs to be completed within a day's time frame, one should always consult the Day's Hora and Nakshatra to achieve the optimum results.
The meaning of 'Hora' can be better understood with context to the word it has been derived from. The word originates from Ahoratra, which can be broken down as 'Aho', meaning day and 'Ratra', meaning night. In terms of measurement, one Hora is approximately equal to 1 hour. But it can change depending upon the duration of sunrise and sunset. So, there are 24 Horas in each Ahoratra. Ahoratra is also divided into two significant periods, clearly demarcated by the sunrise and sunset. These are Day Horai and Night Horai and denote the periods before and after sunset, respectively. Also, Hora can be measured in terms of the angle it tends in the astrological sky, which is 15°. From this, one can easily understand that each Rashi accounts for two Horas corresponding to it.
Now coming to Hora Muhurat, these are the favourable Horas throughout the day. Each day has some auspicious period, even if the large unit is unfavourable. These are defined by Horas of some or other planet, depending on different factors. These Hora Muhurat are the periods people sought to undertake particular work during the day. The type of Hora Muhurat required depends on the nature of work, as different Muhurats favour different aspects of life.
How does it change across the day?
The Hora lord changes periodically across the day. Or in other words, the planet which happens to exert the most influence on the events happening at any given time changes. With this change, changes occur in the energy in the atmosphere. This prompts the transition of the suitability of the occurrence of an event. This might only sometimes be the case.
Now, is there any pattern to these changes? Well, there is. Because, in the end, these are again influenced by planets, which have fixed trajectories. That means they are bound to repeat at some point in time. The cyclic pattern of Horas is like the following: Sun-Venus-Mercury-Moon-Saturn-Jupiter-Mars. This pattern comes from the succeeding Hora is always the planet Lord of the 6th Day, away from the current planet Hora. This keeps repeating until the 24 Horas are completed for each day. Also, Each Day has a fixed Lagna. Also, the days of the week are the names of the planets lord over the ascendent Hora that Day. The terms are based on the Horas of the sunrise time of any given day. That's why the weekdays are named after the Grahas.
How to calculate Hora Muhurat?
Every day of the seven days of the week is ruled by one planet of the solar system, and thus there are 7 Horas in Astrology.
- Sunday is governed by the planet Sun
- Moon rules Monday
- Mars rules Tuesday
- Mercury governs Wednesday
- Jupiter rules Thursday
- Venus governs Friday
- Saturn rules Saturday
Hora is also understood as a unit of time. There are 24 Horas in a day that exist for approximately 1 hour. However, this can be changed as the duration depends on the total period from one sunrise to the next.
Furthermore, the 24 hours of a day are divided into two major sections: the day and night. The daytime is known as Day Horai or Din Maan, and the nighttime is known as Night Horai or Ratri Maan. The Day Horai is from sunrise to sunset, and the Night Horai is from evening to the next morning. These parts are further divided into twelve equal parts consisting of twelve horas.
Another vital thing to remember is that the First Hora of a specific day is of the Lord of the day, and the Second Hora is of the Sixth Day Lord from the particular day. This is the pattern followed throughout the day until sunrise. For example, if today is Monday, the First Hora will be of the Moon, followed by the Sun, which will be the Sixth Day Lord. The Third Hora will be of Venus, keeping in mind it is coming after the Sun. This will be observed until the sunrise, and again with a new day, the First Hora will be of the Day Lord, and so forth.
Apart from the basic calculation of dividing the day into 24 Horas and charting out the pattern, there are other uses for categorising these units too. This includes calculating the exact duration of each Hora for each day so that Muhurats can be used for precise times to conduct meaningful work. This is done by taking the sunrise and sunset time from any newspaper and dividing the total duration by 12. It gives the Day Horai. Similarly, by sourcing out the next day's sunrise, one can calculate the duration period of NIght Horai too. These can be noticeably variable periods of weeks or months. Hence there is a constant need to do this. Now, each interval is assigned a Hora accordingly, and then One can use it for astrological purposes. Instead of carrying out all this hassle, one can always use any reliable calculator for close details across the day, like InstaAstro's Hora Muhurat calculator.
Also, as already mentioned, there are two main categories based on sunset. The zodiac signs are divided into these two groups too. Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces natives belong to the night Hora and are under the Moon's rule. On the other hand, Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius natives are of the Day Hora and are subject to Sun rule. While considering the Horas of the Day, the Sun, Venus, and Jupiter are the most potent planets; however, when considering the Horas of the night, the Moon, Mars, and Saturn are the strongest. In addition to these, Mercury changes according to the time of birth. When the time of birth is not close to sunlight or sunset, it remains strong, but otherwise, it is neutral. These can add additional information to a person's natal chart, making it easier to make more crucial decisions accurately.
What are the different Horas based on planets?
- Surya Hora: It is the First Hora on Sunday and is dynamic, powerful, and full of life. Simultaneously, the sun is harsh and relentless to rid the spirit of ignorance and allow the truth to shine through. As a result, it is appropriate for applying to activities that focus on improving one's health, athletics, etc.. Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday are the most potent or most effective days for the Sun Hora. On the other hand, it is detrimental on Friday and Saturday. This Hora muhurat is suitable for wearing ruby-coloured gemstones. Additionally, it is seen favourably for landing any excellent job. The Sun's Hora is also beneficial for political activities, dealing with and meeting leaders, lawmakers, and government officials. It was also suitable for submitting job applications, going to court, and buying and selling.
- Chandra Hora: Monday's First Hora, the Moon Hora, is renowned for being mild, erratic, and delicate. The Moon's Hora is fortunate for beginning work, meeting elders, moving, engaging in house and property-related activities, purchasing and wearing ornaments, mediating, purchasing and selling textiles and clothing, all water-related activities, and undertaking creative and artistic endeavours. Although it is considered appropriate for most jobs, it is remarkably suggested for gardening or hobbies involving food, the sea, or silver. On Monday and Thursday, when it is most active and effective, it is less effective on Saturday and Sunday. One can start wearing pearls at this time.
- Mangal Hora: The Mangal Hora, Tuesday's first Hora, is aggressive and unforgiving. People ought to steer clear of essential activities. Instead, they can take on tasks that call for bravery and strength. The Mangal Hora is fortunate for dealing with matters about land and agriculture, buying and selling vehicles, electrical and engineering projects, adventurous endeavours, sports, giving and receiving loans, physical activity and martial arts, as well as matters involving brothers and fire. The best days for Mars Hora are Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. On Wednesday and Saturday, the Muhurats are bad. One should try to avoid fights and confrontations during this Hora time. - Coral and cat's eye stones are said to be auspicious to consume during Mangal Hora.
- Budh Hora: The First Hora on Wednesday is notorious for being hurried, unpredictable, and changing. The Hora of Mercury is favourable for all account work, communications and computer-related tasks, learning and teaching, studying the Bible and astrology, and commerce and business-related activities. It is also favourable for all types of astrological research. One can complete any business, transaction, or auditing task during this Hora. Mercury is advantageous for academic pursuits as well. On Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, it takes effect. This doesn't apply on Tuesday. Wearing an Emerald is recommended during Mercury Hora.
- Guru Hora: The Jupiter horoscope is highly favourable for all profitable endeavours. It is productive, enhancing, advantageous, promising, and advised for all auspicious works. Jupiter, a mellow, benign planet, rules Thursday. It's an excellent time to spend with kids, attend philosophical talks or lectures, or meet with a financial planner, advisor, or counsellor. It is lucky for beginning a new job, business, meeting with elders, starting a new course of study, court-related concerns, all religious endeavours, engagement discussions, journeys, and pilgrimages. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, it works better. In Guru Hora, one may begin donning yellow sapphire jewellery.
- Shukra Hora: The Venus Hora, the First Hora of Friday, represents harmony, beauty, and good equations. The Venus Hora is regarded as the most promising sign for activities relating to the fine arts, romance, jewellery purchases, gold and silver business, acting or modelling, music, and other luxurious pastimes. Shukra Hora's benefits can be observed in marriage, compatibility, and love. Additionally, one may start their journey during the Venus Hora. On Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, Venus Hora is most effective, while on Sunday, it is least effective. Wearing Diamond, Opal, or brand-new attire is permitted during this Hora.
- Shani Hora: Saturn, a stern and unforgiving planet, rules Saturday. Laziness, inactivity, and procrastination are characteristics of Shani Hora. Otherwise, it's an excellent time for cleaning, yard work, paying bills, organising, getting rid of old, worthless, worn-out items, shopping for antiques, garage sales, business tasks, weight training, and dog training. Glass, agriculture, finance, construction, and new real estate-related projects can all be profitable. The Hora of Saturn is also appropriate for firms that deal with oil and iron and labour-related issues. It is unlucky in all other respects. On Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, this Hora is more potent. On Monday, Tuesday, and Sunday, it is perceived as unfavourable. At this time, one should wear sapphire and onyx.
The Seven Horas are of each planet and are known to have their power, influence, and impact.
- Sun Hora or Surya Hora: It is the First Hora on Raviwar or Sunday and possesses energy, power, vigour, and dynamism. Therefore, it is suitable for applying for political or governmental professions, bidding or tendering, and high-quality jobs. The Sun Hora is more powerful or effective on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. But, on the other hand, it is harmful on Saturday and Friday.
The Manik jewel is meant to seek blessings from Surya Deva.
- Moon Hora or Chandra Hora: The First Hora on Somwar or Monday, the Moon Hora is known to be gentle, fluctuating, and fragile. Although it is considered suitable for most tasks, it is especially recommended for gardening or food, sea, or silver activities. It is the most active and effective on Monday and Thursday but is less effective on Saturday and Sunday.
Moti or Pearl should be adorned to please the Moon.
- Mars Hora or Mangal Hora: The Mangal Hora is the First Hora on Tuesday or Mangalwar. It is sharp and aggressive. Thus, promising people should avoid priority activities. Instead, you should perform acts requiring bravery, courage, and strength. It would help if you took up sports and competition, electrical and mechanical engineering, fire-related work, litigation, and construction during the Hora of Mangal. Mars Hora is most positive on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. It is adverse on Wednesday and Saturday.
Moonga and Lehsuniya are two gemstones worn to please Lord Mangal and Ketu, respectively.
- Mercury Hora or Budha Hora: This Hora is the First Hora on Budhawar or Wednesday and is known to be impatient, unstable, and changeable. Budha Hora benefitted from areas like education, learning new skills, travelling, moving between places, and finalising written agreements. It is effective on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. It is ineffective on Tuesday.
The jewel Panna is adorned to seek blessings from Lord Budha.
- Jupiter Hora or Guru Hora: The Hora of Jupiter is the First Hora on Guruwar or Thursday. It is fruitful, augmentative, favourable, promising, and recommended for all auspicious works. Tasks under travelling and transportation, exchange of finances, house construction and other spiritual activities can attain success under this Hora. It is more effective on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
By adorning Pukhraj, Lord Brihaspati gets pleased.
- Venus Hora or Shukra Hora: The First Hora on Shukrawar or Friday, the Venus Hora stands for unity, aesthetics, and healthy equations. The Shukra Hora benefits are seen in love, romance, marriage, and compatibility. Some tasks that will bring joy and success during this period are in sectors of music, art, dance and writing. Venus Hora is effective on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and it's the least effective on Sunday.
The Opal Jewel or any Diamond can appease Lord Shukra.
- Saturn Hora or Shani Hora: Shani Hora is the First Hora on Saturday and is known to be lazy, inactive, and procrastinating. Please avoid all urgent tasks during Saturn Hora. According to recommendations, works related to oil, lead, iron, glass, agriculture, banking, construction, or new property, can be beneficial. This Hora is more effective on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. It is seen to be detrimental on Monday, Tuesday, and Sunday.
Neelam and Gomed jewels should be worn to please Lord Shani and Rahu, respectively.